Home > Moving Guide > Green Moving > Living a Green Life
Living a Green Life
Start a new life style in your new home. The moment you wanted a new home you surely
got great reasons why. When relocating, consider changing old habits that compromise
the environment. Start to live green.
Living green is holistic. You have to consider every angle of your lifestyle and
adapt the eco-friendly measures. Reevaluate you and your family’s needs. Heed the
call to preserve nature. Include living a green life when moving.
Below are some things that you will consider as you begin living the green way in
your new residence.
1. Buy organically grown food. Always start with what you put into your system.
Organic foods are free from chemicals that tire the soil. Buy locally grown poultry,
fruits and vegetables. You need not travel long and you save on gas.
2. Fill your surrounding with plants. They clean the air and keep your place cool.
- There are specialty moving companies that specialize in transporting plants. You
are guaranteed that your plants stay healthy and protected during your relocation.
MoveMeAWay.com is a website that you could check for a listing of moving companies.
Since you want to be eco-friendly, choose the services of moving green businesses.
- Gardening will encourage you to compost so you could have enough supply of homemade
fertilizer. Your garden and kitchen wastes are good compost materials. Your garden
patch can soon supply you with more than enough vegetables.
3. Practice Waste Segregation and Recycle. Follow strictly the ordinance on waste
segregation. For waste that could be recycled, visit the nearest recycling centers
to know how you could turn-over your wastes or unwanted items. Every item could
be put to use by others. Recycling centers will take care of your discarded goods.
- Reuse stuff. Make use of the packing materials you used during your relocation.
Boxes can be utilized to store household items in the attic, basement or garage.
Papers can be composted or used to wrap or cushion fragile items that you are not
yet ready to display. Bubble wraps can be used for insulation and cushion delicate
4. Save energy. Forget the traditional light bulbs. Buy energy-efficient ones. Look
for CFL (stands for compact fluorescent lamp) bulbs. They save energy, efficient
and longer lasting than the conventional bulbs.
5. Check your car and your driving. Buy fuel-efficient car. Count your old car’s
mileage per gallon of gas consumed. Sum that up and think how much you can save
in a year.
- Use public transportation, if you can. Seeing less number of cars on the road is
better. Fewer cars, less fuel consumption, happier environment.
- Maintain your car. You can save more if you will. Check your air filters if they
are not yet clogged. Otherwise, you contribute to the pollution problem. Check your
tires if they have enough air. Seeing them in good running condition can mean more
mileage per gallon of gas used. Minimize use of car air condition. Unload your car.
- Maintain speed limit while on the road. Remain in constant speed while in traffic.